Starting a meditation practice can be hard enough, but sticking with it can be a lot harder.
The following tips will help you succeed in establishing a regular meditation practice:
- Create A Dedicated Space for Meditation – It helps to meditate at the same place every time. Choose a quiet room, part of a room or a quiet outdoor area.
- Mitigate Noise – If noise is a problem, use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.
- Adjust the Temperature – It helps to keep the air temperature on the cooler side with good airflow. This will help to keep you alert and awake.
- Energize Before Meditation – Draw in energy and release tension to help you stay alert and calm. This can include activities such as running, walking, yoga, stretching, Qi Gong, energization exercises, etc.
- Meditate on An Empty Stomach –You want your energy going towards your meditation instead of digesting food.
- Meditate with intention – Connect to your reason for meditating and approach your practice with joy.
- Maintain Good Posture – Ensure your spine is straight, your gaze is turned upwards towards the horizon, and your hands are turned up and at the junction of thighs & abdomen.
- Practice Regularly – If possible, set aside the same time each day to meditate.
- Take Small Steps – Start with 5 – 10 minutes each day and if you can manage twice a day, that’s even better. Gradually increase this to longer, but it’s better to meditate every day for 10 minutes rather than once a week for 30. It easier to start with guided meditations, and then progress to silent meditations.
- Enhance your meditation – say a prayer, chant, affirmation, and/or practice breathing techniques before meditating.
- Meditate with others – Join a meditation group or find a buddy to meditate together. The magnetism of a group can be powerful, and others can also help us stay motivated.
- Find a teacher or mentor – If you are having difficulty getting started or sticking with your practice, consider contacting a meditation teacher for consultation.